During an ongoing storm, you (a flying squirrel) and your babies have taken shelter in the nest. Although as the storm continues, your babies grow hungry. In order to feed them you must go outside into the storm.
Developed: April 2018 - May 2018
My Role: Project Lead, Designer
Type: University Project (team of 9)
DESIGN DECISIONS AND PROCESSES
Nesting Instinct, was a university group project based around the idea of home. The game presents home as a place of safety, yet requiring the player to leave their comfort zone in order to feed their flying-squirrel babies.
There are 2 distinct areas in the game. The nest and the outside. The nest is calm and warm, while outside is dark, cold and daunting. There were various different ways these 2 feelings were accomplished.
- Soft, orange colours to emphasise that this is a warm place.
- No ambient storm noises, just calm guitar music.
- No music, just ambient wind, rain and thunder noises.
- A dark purple atmosphere, with stark lighting.
- Dark fog covering the ground, with red eyes fading in and out to give the player a sense of being watched.
- An ominous, red moon.
- Snakes hiding in some trees, which puts the player on their toes.